Sunday, December 9, 2007

Table Talk

I watched the table talk interview with the three black women. I thought it was very interesting. I had never heard some of those statistics. Stats including:
* 7 of every 10 black kids are raised by one parent (normally the mom),
* 50 years ago 26,000 black women were married to while men - today that number is 117,000
* 50 years ago 20% of black women were not and had not been married - today it is 45% - this double the number of while women

I think that the last stat is possibly because it might be more accepted in the black culture that white culture to be an unwed mother or just to not be married.

I thought that the women were very sincere in their answers and I enjoyed hearing from them. The main topic was that black women are achieving great things while black men are lagging behind, and that this trend negatively effects the new generation.
They ended by saying that they tell their own children that they can do anything no matter what anyone else says.

No comments: