Monday, September 24, 2007

Disabled People in the Press

I really got a lot out of the Society of Professional Journalist article on covering disability issues. It made me see clearly that disabled people are not covered much and when they are, it's a big woop-la story about them "overcoming the odds". I never thought how that would be insulting to get praise for doing something that for you, is everyday life. It would be like someone clapping and cheering me on as I brush my teeth in the morning. It's just life for me....as well as for them. I only know one disabled person. He is truly amazing and I admire him so much. He doesn't have arms and has a fake leg. He goes to school, drives a car, and has tons of friends. No one can tell him that he can't do something because of his disability. I agree with the part about able-bodied people fearing that one day they may be crippled and so they fear it. For me, I don't think that the media has really shaped my view of people with disabilities. I didn't watch t.v. that much growing up and my parents always taught me to view and treat people the same.

No comments: